Despite the state of your hair, natural or chemically treated, curly or straight long or short, you may have had to deal with tangles at one point. Tangled hair is a post-wash or post-shower condition that makes your hair uncontrollably weak, brittle, and tresses dry. Detangling the hair is not just a complicated process. It is also hair damaging, time-consuming as well as depressing. This article gives you a clear idea of choosing the best shampoo for tangled hair, their benefits, and how they work.
Most people, however, rely on a hairbrush or comb to detangle their hair. Seeing a lot of hair on the comb is an uncomparable pain that women understand. However, this sparks a crucial question- why is my hair so tangled after washing? One most common reason why the hair tangles after washing are poor rinsing. If you fail to rinse the hair thoroughly, leaving some product, your hair is likely to tangle.
Sometimes lack of proper conditioning may cause tangling. This is to say, in addition to cleansing, conditioning your hair is necessary. If you notice the hair still weaves even after conditioning, then it is time to reevaluate your shampoo. Detangling your hair with minimum breakage is possible with the proper techniques and products. Besides reducing breakage, the right shampoo and conditioner make the otherwise tedious and challenging process easy.
Fortunately, there are various shampoos and conditioners that will help with this significant issue. The shampoo you will use to detangle your hair will determine the result. You can say goodbye to this hair problem with the best shampoo for detangling hair.
Top 7 Causes of Tangling for Hair
The hair tangles when the cuticles block each other. The following are some of the causes of tangling.
- Dehydration – According to Luxury Hair. It is one of the common reasons for tangled hair and is common in chemically treated hair. If the hair is dry, the chances of tangling are very high.
- Friction – It may be caused by clothing, bedding, pillowcases, and other towels. This, therefore, explains why your hair is always tangled when you wake up.
- Incomplete rinsing after washing the hair also causes tangling, especially when the product remains in the hair.
- Overwashing and heat styling.
- Using harsh hair products that contain harsh chemicals.
- Rubbing the hair with a towel.
- Massaging the hair too hard when washing.
How To Select the Best Shampoo for Tangled Hair
Selecting the best shampoo for tangled hair is not a very easy task. Most people resolve to buy what their friends recommend or what most people use. However, this is not the best approach to follow. What may work for one person may not be suitable for the other. For this reason, we have prepared a list of considerations to make before making your buying decision.
- Moisturizing Properties
Before picking the best shampoo for tangled hair, make sure it contains plant proteins and other nourishing ingredients such as aloe vera, olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil, or other moisturizing ingredients.
The product’s scent is also another factor to consider. Some products have a strong fragrance that may be uncomfortable for some people. So make sure that you are also comfortable with the smell before buying it.
- Free From Harsh Chemicals Like Fragrance
It is also advisable that you select a free product from chemicals that may be harsh on the skin. Chemicals like paraben are primarily found in most products as they are meant to preserve the shelf life of products. Instead, select organic and healthy products for both the hair and skin.
When buying a detangling shampoo, it is also essential to go for the one with crucial healthy elements for the hair. Look for ingredients like essential oils, vitamins, and plant extract as they promote healthy hair.
- Type of Hair
Some products are suitable for chemically treated hair, others for natural hair and others for curly hair. Consider the state and nature of your hair before buying any product.
Top 10 Best Shampoos & Conditioners for Tangled Hair
We realized that many people are getting confused about which product to buy with numerous products today. This, therefore, made us review some of these products and come up with a somewhat smaller list. In our list, we have narrowed it down to the top ten best shampoos and conditioners for tangled hair.
#1. Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Detangling Solution
Best Solution for Tangled Hair Overall
- It contains aloe vera extract that moisturizes the hair.
- Sulfate-free hence a good option for color-treated hair
- In addition, it is vegan and paraben-free.
- Besides aloe vera, it is designed with natural ingredients like passion fruit.
- It is 100% vegan
- The lightweight formula contains no harsh chemicals.
- Aloe vera extract
- Cupuacu butter
- Apricot kernel oil
- Moisturizes the moisture balance of the hair
- Promotes healthy, smooth, and soft hair
- It is a nourishing formula
- Suitable for all types of hair, including color-treated hair
- Eliminates frizz
- Enhances the protective barrier of the tresses
- The strong scent may be uncomfortable for some people
#2. Creme of Nature Professional Detangling and Conditioning Shampoo
The Best Shampoo for Dry Tangled Hair
- Contains natural ingredients of flowers, fruits, and essential oils.
- It is also an excellent oil-based shampoo that nourishes the hair
- The shampoo is designed with coconut oil, one of the most popular natural nourishers
- Unfortunately, it contains sulfates, especially SLS
- However, it is free from parabens and other harsh chemicals
- Additionally, it contains sunflower and olive oil.
- Tropical coconut
- It offers nourishing, cleansing, and moisturizing benefits
- The formula contains natural ingredients that strengthen the hair
- An intelligent formula that offers gentle cleansing
- It has a pleasant tropical coconut fragrance
- Suitable for detangling all types of hair
- It also leaves the hair silkier, smoother, and healthier than before
- It contains sulfates that may be harsh on the scalp
#3. The Mane Choice Easy on the Curls Detangling Conditioner
Best Conditioner for Curly Tangled Hair
- It is a rejuvenating formula.
- It contains nutritious botanicals such as aloe vera and avocado oil
- Additionally, it is infused with rosemary and grapefruit extract.
- Sulfate and paraben-free
- It is also free from mineral oils and petrolatum
- Biotin, avocado oil, and vitamin E offer strengthening properties
- The Vitamin E also enhances moisture retention
- Vitamin E
- Aloe leaf extract
- Offers super hydrating benefits
- Strengthens the hair
- The product has an impeccable detangling effect
- It is safe for the sensitive scalp as it is sulfate and paraben-free
- The formula prevents weighing down curls
- Offers instant detangling
- It also prevents greasiness
- It may not be suitable for straight and low porous hair
#4. Fairy Tales Tangle Tamer Super-Charge Detangling Shampoo for Kids
Best Shampoo for Detangling Kids Hair
- Free from harsh chemicals like sulfates, parabens, and gluten
- It is made with a pleasant fragrance of pineapples
- The shampoo also contains nourishing nutrients like aloe, jojoba, and vitamin E
- Additionally, it contains vitamin B and keratin
- It is also infused with panthenol, which helps eliminate frizz
- The hydrolyzed keratin in the formula helps fortify the hair
- It is also free from soy, nut-derived oils, and gluten
- Jojoba oil
- Aloe vera extract
- Vitamin B and E
- Suitable for all hair textures
- Free from harsh chemicals like paraben and phthalates
- Contains vitamin E and B, jojoba oil, and aloe vera extract
- The product has a pleasant pineapple fragrance
- It offers both moisturizing and nourishing effects
- This shampoo is not very suitable for adults
#5. Design Essentials Honey Cream Shampoo
Best Refreshing Shampoo for Dry, Tangled Hair
- It is alcohol and paraben-free hence safe for use and promotes healthy hair.
- Supports healthy hair with honey crème as the main ingredient
- It is best known for its moisture retention properties
- In addition to detangling, it also offers both cleansing and moisturizing properties.
- The shampoo also smoothens the cuticles making hair management easy.
- Citric acid
- Suitable for all hair types
- Offers nourishing, detangling, and moisturizing properties
- It instantly detangles the hair.
- With its thick consistency, you only need little product
- It is also a mild formula that softens the cuticles
- It contains sodium and sulfate
#6. Shea Moisture Red Palm Oil and Cocoa Butter Detangling Shampoo
- It contains vitamins and antioxidants.
- Free from harsh chemicals like sulfates and parabens
- Additionally, it also contains flaxseed oil that prevents shrinkage
- It includes a blend of red palm oil and cocoa butter
- In addition, it is also infused with certified organic shea butter.
- Cocoa butter
- Red palm oil
- Shea butter
- It is a sulfate-free shampoo
- Rich in antioxidants and vitamins
- Detangles all types of hair, including coily and tight curls
- It has a pleasant scent
- Suitable for all hair types
- Not ideal for low porous hair
#7. Noah Kids Detangling Shampoo
- The shampoo is a mild formula and gentle for kids
- It is a non-toxic product
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Enriched with sugar, milk, and vitamin E
- It is also free from other chemicals like paraben, silicone, SLS, and paraffin
- Vitamin E
- Hydrolyzed milk protein
- Offers a balance in oil production
- Gentle on the skin and scalp
- Conditions and softens the hair
- Improves scalp circulation
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- The scent may be vital for some people
#8. Oribe Priming Lotion Leave-In Conditioning Detangler
- It contains natural oils, fruit, and floral extracts
- Offers multidimensional benefits of natural ingredients
- It is free from harsh chemicals like sulfates and paraben
- Cruelty-free with an antioxidant feature
- It contains vitamin A, B, D, and E besides avocado oil
- Other ingredients are olive oil, lychee, mango, and cocoa seed butter
- Jojoba oil
- Vitamins A, B, D, and E
- Mango seed
- It is a super-effective formula
- Has a unique, pleasant fragrance
- Cruelty-free hence safe
- Free from harsh chemicals
- It offers both nourishing and moisturizing benefits
- The fragrance may be overpowering
#9. L’Oreal Paris Elvive Dream Lengths Restoring Shampoo
- Contains refined castor oil in addition to vitamin B3 and B5
- It is paraben and sulfate-free
- Additionally, it contains hydrolyzed wheat protein.
- It is a lightweight creamy product that does not weigh down the hair
- The product is free from other harmful chemicals like silicone and dye
- Combines notes of milk sorbet, permanganate, and caramel orchid for the sweet fragrance
- Vitamin B3, B5, and E
- Hydrolized wheat protein
- Free from harsh chemicals
- Restores and repairs damaged hair
- It also strengthens and protects the hair
- Lathers readily and restores shine
- It has a sweet candy fragrance
- Strong fragrance for some people
- Other users claimed that it makes the hair hard to flat iron
#10. Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Shampoo and Conditioner
- It is sulfate and paraben-free
- Additionally, it is free from gluten and drying alcohol
- Formulated with keratin protein as the main ingredient
- It contains hydrolyzed collagen for elasticity
- In addition, it contains sesame, coconut, and olive oil
- Keratin protein
- Hydrolyzed collagen
- Coconut oil
- Free from harsh chemicals like parabens
- Revitalizes the scalp
- Offers anti-breakage benefits
- Detangles and moisturizes the hair
- The results may be non-permanent even though it works amazingly
Detangling using shampoo may be challenging for some people. Therefore, in this video, you will be able to learn how to do it quickly.
Tangles, knots, and frizzes are the leading hair issues that weaken the hair, causing breakage. However, with the right products in your hair routine bucket, you can reduce the breakage and promote stronger and healthier hair. Using the best shampoo for tangled hair will prevent hair damage, split ends, and breakages while detangling your hair.
With many such products in the market, it may be impossible to make a buying decision. For this reason, we recommend Matrix Biolage Hydrasource Detangling Solution as the overall best shampoo for tangled hair. Even though it may be expensive, it has lovely detangling properties with high-quality ingredients. It is also suitable for all types and textures of hair and is the best shampoo for thick, tangled hair.