If you have permed your hair, you need to use a special type of shampoo. It will help you maintain your perm for a long time and protect your hair from damage.
Perming is a chemical process in which your hair’s natural texture and structure change to make it look wavy and curly. Unfortunately, people often make the most common mistake after perming their hair using ordinary shampoo.
Using regular shampoo after perming will not support the hairstyle and will make your hair lose shape. According to Wiki How, you need to use specially formulated shampoos for permed hair.
For those not used to using specific shampoos for permed hair, clarifying shampoos is an excellent choice. They help to remove residual products and excess oils. They are sulfate-free and gentle on the hair. However, clarifying shampoos can dry it out.
Shampoo for permed hair contains supporting ingredients to protect the hair from further damage. You also need to look for sulfate-free and paraben-free shampoo to maintain the hair quality.
We have tried and tested various products to help you make the right buying decision. After conducting multiple tests, we have rounded up the 12 best shampoos for permed hair. You can compare these products and choose the best one for your hair.
What Are Shampoos for Permed Hair?
You probably wonder what shampoos suit your hair if you’ve recently had your hair permed. You might be confused by all the options in the market, but rest assured, there are several options out there that will serve your needs.
Fortunately, there are also many affordable and effective options on the market today. As per Netmeds, you need to stop using harsh shampoos with harsh chemicals and instead use special shampoos meant for permed hair for your perm’s continued health and beauty.
A good shampoo for permed hair needs to address your particular hair type and scalp condition. For example, fine, oily hair is likely to become frizzy and dry so a volumizing shampoo might be the best choice. Similarly, naturally curly or wavy hair tends to be drier and frizzier. Hence, a good shampoo for permed hair will help maintain its smoothness and luster.
When choosing a shampoo for your permed hair, make sure to find one that contains proteins. These proteins help strengthen your curl pattern while moisturizing it and hydrating it. Moreover, shampoos containing coconut and acai provide a tropical aroma. Finally, you should look for one that is free of sulfates. Sulfates can cause your hair to dry out and may damage your permed hair.
Shampoos with the right texture can help maintain your permed hair by preventing frizz and flyaways. Also, it helps prevent your hair from being dry and brittle. Use a shampoo that hydrates your hair from roots to ends for the best results. This will help your hair retain its smoothness and elasticity and give it a gorgeous shine.
The Benefits of Using Shampoo for Permed Hair
Using shampoo for permed hair can help repair the damage caused by the chemical process and add moisture to damaged hair. Shampoos formulated for permed hair contain nutrients and natural oils to help replenish the water and restore hair’s luster.
Curl enhancing shampoos help retain the shape and feel of perms, and color-treated hair can maintain its radiance. Sulfate-free shampoos use proprietary formulas that lock moisture deep into the strand, removing dryness and restoring smoothness. These shampoos will also make hair more manageable and prevent breakage. They are made for permed hair and are gentle on hair.
Shampoos for permed hair contain amino acids and other components that are beneficial for the health of permed hair. Amino acids help maintain the pH balance, while omega-6 fatty acids improve scalp health. Glycerin, which can moisturize permed hair, makes it an excellent choice for permed hair.
Most shampoos for permed hair contain natural ingredients and are free of harsh chemicals and preservatives. It will improve the quality of your hair and repair the damage. It will also help to reduce the damage created during the perming procedure.
According to Wow Skin Science, you need to choose a shampoo with hydrating and moisturizing properties. Because permed hair is usually so fragile, it can lose its luster quickly. In addition, permed hair is prone to breakage due to humidity and lack of nutrients, so hydrating shampoos will restore damaged strands and provide a healthy glow. Gentle perm-boosting formulas can also help de-frizz permed hair.
Top List: 12 Best Shampoos for Permed Hair
The best shampoo for permed hair should be able to restore color, reduce damage, and prolong the life of your perm. When shampooing permed hair, you should look for products rich in proteins. Here are the top 12 shampoos for permed hair.
#1. HASK Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioner
- Kit includes shampoo + conditioner
- Long-lasting and frizz-free curls
- Provides brilliant shine
- Enriched with coconut milk and organic honey
- Locks in moisture
- Free of sulfates and parabens
- Perfect for all types of hair
- It helps to define curls
- Contains organic ingredients
- Gives strands a boost of moisture
- Increases manageability
- Removes buildup without damaging hair
- Free of artificial ingredients and preservatives
- Requires daily use
#2. L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Shampoo
Best Shampoo for Curly Hair
- Sulfate-free shampoo for curly hair
- Nourishes your curls
- Vegan and gluten-free formula
- Color protection + curl definition
- Best for curly and chemical treated hair
- It comes with natural coconut oil
- Helps to maintain permed hair
- Lack of chemical irritants
- Deep moisturizing shampoo
- Maintain hair color
- Gentle sulfate-free formula
- Delivers moisture for up to 48 hours
- Strong and unappealing scent
- High pH levels
#3. Pureology Hydrate Shampoo
Best Shampoo for Vegan Hair
- Best for dry and color-treated hair
- Hydrates and strengthens hair
- Sulfate-free formula
- 100% vegan shampoo
- It comes with natural ingredients
- Cruelty-free product
- Will not strip hair dye or moisture
- It comes with a UV filter
- Lightweight formula
- Protects hair elasticity
- Hydrates and add shine to your hair
- Perfect for normal to thick hair
- Contains added formula
- Not very moisturizing
#4. Sheamoisture Strengthen & Restore Shampoo
Best for Damaged Hair
- Sulfate-free clarifying shampoo
- Paraben-free formula
- It contains Jamaican Black Castor Oil and Shea Butter
- Cruelty-free shampoo
- Removes buildup and nourishes hair
- Perfect for curly and wavy natural styles
- Efficient hair recovery
- Compatible with all hair types
- Helps to strengthen damaged hair
- Provides nourishing moisture
- Helps to repair damaged hair
- No silicone, no sulfate and no parabens
- It might leave stubborn stains
- Not suitable for oily hair
#5. Moroccanoil Hydrating Shampoo
Best Hydrating Shampoo for Permed Hair
- Rich and profoundly hydrating shampoo
- Perfect for permed hair
- It comes with natural and organic ingredients
- Infused with red algae
- Helps to maintain moisture balance
- Increases smoothness and manageability
- Color-safe formula
- Sulfate-free and paraben-free
- Perfect for all hair types
- Gentle on hair
- Promote healthy-looking hair
- Long-lasting aroma
- The smell can be overwhelming
#6. Nexxus Shampoo & Conditioner
Best Shampoo for Permed Dry Hair
- Repair hair from inside
- Lock in moisture and unleash smooth hair
- Salon-crafter hair care
- Ultimate moisturizing shampoo
- Contain proteins
- Silicone-free formula
- High in hair protein
- Visibly repair dry hair
- Retain natural hair texture
- Repair and rejuvenate hair
- Made using high-performing technology
- Transforms dry locks to smooth and shiny locks
- Smells weird
- Hard pump head
#7. Carol’s Daughter Goddess Strength Fortifying Shampoo
Best for Weak Hair
- Target weak strands of hair
- Sulfate-free and paraben-free formula
- Goddess strength system
- Perfect for soft and breakage-prone hair
- Made with love
- Delivers 15X stronger
- Restoring intense moisture
- It comes with castor oil and black seed oil
- Makes hair easier to detangle
- Strength + length system
- Contains no artificial colors
- Vegan formula
- It doesn’t smell good
- Bulky packaging
#8. Garnier Fructis Curl Nourish Shampoo and Conditioner
Best Shampoo & Conditioner Set for Permed Hair
- Shampoo + conditioner set
- It gives stronger, shinier, and softer curls
- Curl nourish shampoo
- Defines curls and increases shine
- Formula with Active Fruit Protein
- Designed for healthier and stronger hair
- Easy to use shampoo and leave-in conditioner
- Sulfate-free product
- Made using natural ingredients
- 48-hour frizz control
- Natural fruit extracts
- Complete curl nourishing treatment
- Not for oily hair
- Contain silicone
#9. Design Essentials Moisturizing and Detangling Shampoo
Best Detangling Shampoo
- Provides maximum moisture
- Detangle with ease
- Developed for healthy hair
- Great for dry hair
- Moisturize brittle hair
- Perfect for all hair types
- It contains almond and avocado oil
- Reduce detangling time
- Helps to increase the strength of weak and brittle curls
- Gentle and sulfate-free formula
- Compatible with hair extensions
- Revitalize the hair’s natural luster
- Makes hair dry
#10. OGX Renewing + Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo & Conditioner
- Set of shampoo and conditioner
- Powerful protection
- Renews strengthens and softens strands
- Pure and simple product
- Great for curly and dry hair
- It helps to hydrate and moisturize
- Supports shine and softness
- Helps repair damaged strands
- Infused with argan oil
- It comes with super-charged antioxidants
- Good for everyday use
- Sulfate-free formula
- Causes itchy feeling
- Leaves buildup on hair
#11. Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Shampoo & Conditioner
Best for Color-Treated Hair
- Shampoo and conditioner set
- Repair damaged hair
- Best for color-treated hair
- Gently moisturizes hair
- Balances and detangles hair
- Perfect for permed hair
- Complete nourishing formula
- It helps to reduce frizz
- Adds softness and tames hair
- Removes debris and excess oil
- Helps to repair color-treated hair
- The formula is too watery
- Strong scent
#12. DevaCurl Low Poo Mild Lather Cleanser
Best Gentle Shampoo
- Irritant-free formula
- No harm to natural hair oil
- Perfect for all curl types
- Mild lather shampoo
- Hydrating formula
- Hydrates hair to repair damage
- Gives weightless moisture to hair
- Cleans and hydrates scalp
- Easy to apply and use
- Sulfate-free formula
- Creates soft, manageable, and shiny hair
- Weak cleansing power
- Not gluten-free
How to Pick the Best Shampoo for Permed Hair
When choosing the best shampoo for permed hair, you’ll have to consider a few things. First, you’ll want to look for sulfate-free shampoos that are moisturizing. It’s also important to consider the type of perm that you’ve received. Fortunately, you can find some great choices. Read on to discover what you need to look for.
When buying a shampoo for permed hair, you need to look for a sulfate-free formula. The best sulfate-free shampoo for permed hair will be gentle enough to use on all hair types. For example, sulfate-free shampoos for curly hair are available in various formulations. Moreover, shampoos containing sulfates can cause hair color to fade and cause scalp allergies. On the other hand, sulfate-free shampoos can help you maintain your perm and make it last a long time. Sulfate-free shampoos also reduce the amount of damage they do to your hair.
- Moisturizing Properties
Another thing you need to consider when looking for a shampoo for permed hair is hydrating or moisturizing properties. For dry, brittle permed hair, you must find a shampoo that provides moisture for hair. Many of the best shampoos for perm hair are made with natural ingredients, but you need to pay attention to the type of moisture your perm shampoo contains. Fortunately, there are several natural products available in the market today. In addition to providing water, these products also help to strengthen and detangle dry and broken locks.
- Type of Hair
Proper shampoos and conditioners for permed hair are essential to maintaining the look and feel of your hair. According to Byrdie, you need to purchase shampoo based on your hair type. If your hair is too dry, you could compromise the style and quality of your perm. Depending on your hair type, you should use a shampoo that contains essential oils and moisture. Make sure you consider the type and texture of your hair when buying a perm shampoo for the best results.
You also need to consider the shampoo ingredients to make the right buying decision. Nowadays, most shampoos contain harmful and harsh ingredients which can ruin your hair. So, before you buy shampoo, check the list of ingredients. Then, it would help if you chose a shampoo that contains natural and organic items. It will help you to reduce damage and repair your hair.
Choose a silicone-free shampoo. This ingredient is commonly present in most hair products to offer a glossy coat. However, it can weigh your curls down and lead to buildup around your hair and scalp, thereby causing health problems in the long run.
FAQs On Best Shampoo For Permed Hair
How Often Should Permed Hair Be Washed?
Permed hair is very sensitive and requires special care to maintain its integrity. According to Wiki How, you should wash your permed hair with shampoo once every week. Moreover, frequent washing can remove the essential oils from your hair and quickly loosen the perm. For this reason, it’s recommended that you shampoo your permed hair only once a week. It would be best to start by using a shampoo containing glycerin, which acts as a humectant and helps seal in moisture. You should also choose a shampoo with natural botanical ingredients, which have anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and moisturizing properties. Avoid sulfates, as they strip your hair of natural oils, making it dry and lifeless. Parabens, on the other hand, can cause hair loss.
Can You Use Regular Shampoo and Conditioner On Permed Hair?
As per Style Craze, you cannot use regular shampoo and conditioner on permed hair. This is because Perming can damage your hair and make it dry. So, to reduce the damage and maintain the perm, you need to use a specially formulated shampoo. First, choose a shampoo with glycerin, which is a humectant. This ingredient is perfect for permed hair because it seals moisture in. Look for shampoos with high water content since perms make hair more porous and dry. In addition, hydration is crucial to permed hair, as these ingredients seal the cuticle to keep it soft and prevent breakage. Second, make sure to choose a shampoo with amino acids, which are building blocks of protein and ensure a healthy pH level for permed hair. Amino acids are also great for maintaining a healthy tensile strength and density.
Can I Use Anti-Dandruff Shampoo on Permed Hair?
According to Dry Scalp Gone, there is no problem with using an anti-dandruff shampoo on perms. However, you need to choose a special anti-dandruff shampoo developed for permed hair. The good news is that these shampoos are available on the market. Sometimes, due to the use of chemicals in the perming process, your scalp might turn dry and flaky. So, to get rid of dandruff and flakes, you can use a specially formulated anti-dandruff shampoo. Choose a natural formula with moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. It will also be gentle on the permed hair, which is already brittle and delicate. When using a medicated shampoo on permed hair, ensure that it contains ingredients with anti-dandruff benefits. A shampoo with anti-dandruff properties will help reduce dandruff that results from the use of chemicals and relaxers.
How Do You Maintain Permed Hair?
As per Hair Professionals, when you get a perm, the first step is to wait for two days to wash your hair. You should also refrain from brushing or combing your hair too much. To minimize damage:
1. Try to use a sulfate-free shampoo.
2. Try to wait at least two to three days between shampoos.
3. After shampooing, apply a perm conditioner to make combing easier.
It also infuses thirsty strands with moisture. Rinse your hair with lukewarm water and pat it dry with a microfiber towel. Do not dry brush your permed hair, as this can cause it to look frizzy and undefined. To get the best results, follow the instructions of your hairstylist. To make your perm last longer, use a quality hair conditioner. Choose a product with no harsh ingredients. Regular trimming is also an excellent way to keep your curls from falling apart.
Permed hair needs special care as the chemical process can make your hair dry and frizzy. To restore the moisture and retain your perm for a long time, you need to use a specially formulated shampoo. These are perm shampoos available in the market to help you maintain your perm. This guide has discussed the 12 best shampoos for permed hair. All these products are tried and tested by our experts. They contain unique ingredients to improve the quality of your permed hair. You can compare the features and choose any of these products as per your hair type and texture.